Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mommy Crafting

Photo Project 2012 - Day 122
 

It occurred to me today, as I was getting crafts ready for Annalee's birthday party, that I really like the crafting party of being a mom and/or planning a party. Maybe I just like crafting. Maybe I just like crafting, alone. No. I do like to craft with the girls, and I love to bake with them. But, I think some days it's nice to be alone - and hear myself think. I think May 1 was one of those days.

Annalee's having a Harry Potter-themed party - with boys! It's our first party where boys have been invited. Thankfully, it will be a small group - only those in the Harry Potter club that the kids have created during recess.

So, today was wand-making day. While Annalee and Zelda were at school, I got out dowel rods, paper, Mod Podge and the hot glue gun. First I rolled the rods in the paper to create the wands. Then, I covered them in Mod Podge to seal the paper. The fun part was covering them in hot glue and creating patterns or just plain blobs of glue. I can't take credit for this idea. What would we do without the resources of the internet?!? Here's my source on this one, combined with a little bit of my own ideas.

During the party, the kids will get to paint the wands to take home. I loved the crafting part of the day. I just found it strange that, when Annalee tried them out after school, I had to tell her which end was the part you hold and which was the end you point at something to send a curse.

And, here I thought she was the Harry Potter expert.

No comments: